Fertility News

8 tips for healthy sperm

healthy sperm

If you're worried about your sperm quality, here are some easy measures you can take to improve your chance of a healthy pregnancy.

You've probably heard that alcohol and smoking damage your sperm but many foods also have a significant impact on sperm quality. High LDL cholesterol and saturated fat intake; for example, red meat, French fries, cheeseburgers and ice cream, all contribute to low sperm counts, whereas good-fat foods, such as fish and walnuts are associated with bigger, better, baby-making sperm.

Healthy sperm and a robust sperm count improve your odds that a single sperm will survive its marathon journey to meet an eligible egg. Sperm have different functions. Some act like blockers to stop other sperm, which makes "survival of the fittest" sense for animals with multiple mates during mating season, while others are sprinters designed to beat a path to the egg. More than half of your sperm are the sprinter/swimmer type, and those oval heads need to be strong enough to break through an egg's tough outer layer.

Giving your sperm a healthy start makes sense for every intending Dad trying to have a family as over 40% of all fertility issues originate with the male partner. Here are a few tips to improve sperm quality:

Eat little to no bad fats and more good fats. Forget the Pizzas! Eating lots of the saturated fat found in red meats, processed meats, full-fat dairy products, and many snack foods and desserts can reduce sperm counts by up to 38% and slow the swimming ability of the remaining 62%. Getting more omega-3 fatty acids from fish such as salmon and wild trout, however, means higher sperm counts. To get more omega-3s, you can also take 1,500 milligrams of a DHA (the most active omega-3) supplement, such as Krill oil, daily. Take 1,500 mg for 10 weeks, and then cut back to 1,000 mg.

Eat your veggies honey! Filling up on fruit and vegetables protects sperm quality and quantity by activating your body's defences to keep them healthy.

Add vitamin D3 and zinc. Plenty of vitamin D3 helps sperm swim better and faster. Aim for 1,000 IU a day from a D3 supplement. Add 15 mg of zinc a day for a healthy sperm count and superior shape. Find zinc in multivitamins and in healthful food sources, including poultry, beans, cashews, and yogurt with no fat or added sugar. You can also take a Maca supplement, which is proven to significantly increase sperm health and semen volume.

Get that ipad off your lap and your smart phone out of your pants. Surfing the Web or checking e-mail with a Wi-Fi-connected laptop or tablet on your lap is bad news for male fertility, since it can damage your sperms’ swimming skills and the precious DNA (yours!) cargo they carry. Phones can affect male fertility, too.

Keep cool where it counts. Sperm production needs temperatures cooler than the rest of your body, which is why hot tubs, a fever, and even a desk job can decrease your sperm count. Take stand-up breaks at work and make the switch from briefs to boxers. Tight underwear can reduce sperm count by up to 50%. Cyclists need to mix up their exercise routines too.

Skip the drinks and smokes. Smoking tobacco is disastrous for male fertility. It can cut your sperm count by 20% and increases the risk of genetic abnormalities, so it's best to quit smoking. There's also evidence that marijuana is even worse news as is alcohol. More than one beer, glass of wine, or cocktail a day will harm sperm quality.

Stay trim. Being overweight subtracts from your sperm count and increases the number of abnormal sperm. Why? Obesity may alter hormone levels and heat up your testicles. Losing weight can also cure erectile dysfunction.

Don't hold back in the bedroom. Daily fun between the sheets improves sperm quality dramatically. Compared to several days of abstinence, daily intimacy reduces DNA damage in sperm by about 30%.

Lastly, but most importantly, your lifestyle 3-months before you have your sperm collected will determine your sperm quality so start making changes now!